December 15, 2017
A classic scenario: there’s less than a week left until Christmas, and you’ve realized you’re not as close to finishing your shopping as you thought. You bundle up and drive downtown—with no idea what you’re going to get your daughter’s new boyfriend—and debate just going through a drive-thru, grabbing a burger and fries gift card and calling it a day. You go home, feeling somewhat defeated, and rummage through your closet to see if you have anything hidden away that you’ve forgotten about. You don’t.
Not that we’ve been in a similar situation or anything like that.
The holidays aren’t supposed to be stressful, and neither is gift giving. If you’re determined to get everyone the perfect present this year—but you’ve left it a little late and are feeling the pinch—don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Bishop’s Landing is home to some of the most unique local vendors Halifax has to offer, and all of them have incredible gift ideas for everyone on your list.
Keep reading and discover how easy it is to shop local this year, even at the very last minute.
Pick Out the Perfect Gift for Even the Most Difficult to Buy For Person on Your List
At this point, you likely already have gifts (or at least, gift ideas) for your best friend, partner, or close family members. They’re not the ones that keep you up at night.
It’s those people you don’t know all that well—and often forget you need to buy for—that make sure you’re still shopping up to the very last second. This year, Bishop’s Cellar is making shopping for those puzzling people on your list much easier with the 2017 Gift Giving Guide.
Covering everyone from your workplace Secret Santa (who you’ve never exchanged more than ten words with) to your hairstylist who came to the rescue when you box dyed your hair and needed an emergency appointment, the 2017 Gift Giving Guide is a life-saver. What makes it even better is the fact that you can order recommended products right within the guide—add ‘em to your cart, proceed to the checkout, and have your gifts delivered right to your door (or pick them up at the store if you’re in a real rush). Start (and finish) your last-minute shopping with the Bishop’s Cellar 2017 Gift Giving Guide now!
Gifts That Are Already Packaged and Tied With a Bow
As if the last minute shopping isn’t stressful enough, how about wrapping all of your eleventh-hour purchases so they look like you picked them out and prepared them weeks ago? Take advantage of these perfect gifts that are already beautifully packaged—just add a name tag!
- Haspaka’s gift crates — For the foodie who loves to try new local goods, Haskapa’sgift crates feature their most popular products and are complete with shredded filler and a twine bow. There are crates to suit any price range, so check out their selection in-store or order online now!
- The Uncommon Group’s local gift baskets — Chocolate, coffee, cake, syrups, jams, and more fill The Uncommon Group’s Nova Scotia-centric gift baskets. Check out their assortment of gifts, and if you don’t see exactly what you need, contact them—theycan customize your basket if you’d like specific flavours! Visit Rum Runners and Sugah! at Bishop’s Landing to get inspired.
Treat Them to a Beautiful Night Out at One of Halifax’s Top Restaurants
Who doesn’t want to be treated to a night of fabulous food and delicious drinks?
The Halifax waterfront is home to some of the city’s top-rated restaurants and bars. If you want to give the gift of an unforgettable dining experience, pick up a gift card from one of these spots:
- The Bertossi Group — Everyone loves pizza and pasta, and a Bertossi Group gift card covers the top 3 Italian restaurants in the city, as voted by Haligonians. The Bicycle Thief and Ristorante aMano are both located on the Halifax waterfront and serve up top-notch authentic Italian dishes with first-class service to match. Purchase gift cards here.
- Little Oak — This small but mighty restaurant and bar has had a big year—first, Little Oak was Atlantic Canada’s only restaurant who made the shortlist for Air Canada’s Best New Restaurants, then, their manager and sommelier, Nicole Raufeisen won Taste of Nova Scotia’s Server of the Year Award. For the foodie or wine and cocktail aficionado who loves to indulge in the best of the best, a night out at Little Oak is the ideal gift. Email [email protected] to get your gift card.
- Hamachi Steakhouse Bar and Grill — Speciality sushi rolls, fresh cut steaks, teppanyaki, and more make up Hamachi’s Japanese fine dining menu. To get a gift card, stop by their Bishop’s Landing location.
BONUS TIP: Free Parking Saturdays and Sundays Until December 31st Along the Halifax Waterfront
Worried about parking downtown when you’re picking up your gifts? Take advantage of FREE PARKING in the Lower Water Street Lots, including the one at Bishop’s Landing! Snag your spot early and make a day of your last minute shopping trip with lunch and a stroll along the waterfront to admire the lights. Read more details here about free parking through December from Waterfront Development.
There you have it, your ultimate guide to stress-free last minute gift giving. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to stay up-to-date with everything going on at Bishop’s Landing, and we’ll see you this weekend for some last minute (or just in the nick of time?) holiday shopping!
November 15, 2017
It’s official; the holidays are on the way! With the first snowfall in Halifax out of the way and some decorations starting to pop up around the city, it’s hard to resist the holiday cheer.
The very best part of the holidays is celebrating with friends you don’t see as often as you’d like, spending quality time with family, and relaxing with wine, spirits, and delicious holiday snacks. We’re all about enjoying the finer things in life during the holiday season.
If you’re experiencing any worry over preparing for the holidays, we’re here to make it easy so you can enjoy yourself without any panic. Here’s our list of ways you can start preparing for the holidays right now to ensure everything is ready before the parties, dinners, and events get underway!
Stock Up on Drinks and Extras Before Your Party
Are you hosting this year? Make sure you have everything on-hand so you’re not running out at the last minute to pick up forgotten items!
- Stock up on wine, beer, and spirits. Bishop’s Cellar has been chosen as the best liquor and wine store in Halifax yet again for 2017 by The Coast’s readers. Bishop’s Cellar has a great selection and a highly-knowledgeable staff, so drop in and they’ll help you determine what your guests will love and how much you’ll need.
- Get a local, crowd-pleasing dessert. Rum Runners Rum Cake Factory makes the best rum cakes in town, from scratch, right on the Halifax waterfront. Don’t worry about baking before your party, just drop into Rum Runners and let them handle dessert—you’re busy enough already!
- Don’t forget the extras! Haskapa produces delicious local preserves like jam, chutney, and savoury relish, all of which are a perfect addition to your cheese and cracker plate or charcuterie board. Pick up a few interesting flavours and introduce your guests to Nova Scotia’s very own haskap berries.
Dress to Impress
If you have a special clothing item that doesn’t get much wear, the holidays are the perfect opportunity to show it off. Dig through your closet to find that perfect piece and visit String & Theory to make sure it’s in tiptop shape. String & Theory’s dry-cleaning and alteration services will have your holiday outfit looking fresh and fitting like a glove. Don’t wait too long, though—you want to make sure you get that outfit back just in time for your holiday party!
Having that “I have nothing to wear” feeling? Alexa Pope can dress you for the holidays with clothing and accessories that are on trend. From sweaters and skirts to party dresses and jewelry, they’ll help you find the perfect outfit for any type of holiday gathering.
Book a Holiday Party Well in Advance
Are you thinking about hosting a holiday party for your friends, family, or coworkers? Act now and book a venue to prevent yourself from being stuck with nowhere to celebrate!
Hamachi Steakhouse Bar and Grill is a fantastic place to treat your group to a unique dining experience. The restaurant offers holiday group menus, ranging from $40 a person to $65 a person, featuring surf and turf dishes and delicious desserts and sides. To view more in-depth menus and book your party at Hamachi on the waterfront, visit their website.
Start Picking Up Stocking Stuffers and Host Gifts
You may have your list of giftees ready, but are you sure you aren’t forgetting anyone? During all of the hustle and bustle of the holidays, it’s easy to forget the small details like stocking stuffers, host and hostess gifts, Secret Santa gifts, or a little something for your co-workers.
Luckily, the Halifax waterfront has tons of local, unique, and affordable gift options.
- Everyone loves something sweet. No matter how hard to buy for someone is, they’ll love to indulge in delicious treats made in Nova Scotia. Sugah!’s candy and chocolate use the best local ingredients, ensuring a rich and quality taste.
- How about a unique gift they can’t get anywhere else? Moon Moon Cosmetics is Halifax’s Asian Beauty Store, selling everything from cosmetics and skin care to fun accessories like phone cases. Their items make great stocking stuffers, or grab a few items and put together a cute spa-themed gift basket for a great hostess gift!
A bottle of wine is always appreciated.
can help you find the perfect bottle to bring to holiday dinner or to help complete a gift. They’re even hosting a Staff Wish List Tasting on December 1st at 5 p.m., so get your tickets now to attend the tasting and find out what the best bottles of 2017 are according to the knowledgeable staff at Bishop’s Cellar! Get your tickets for $30 each here.
Feeling a little more relaxed about the holidays? We hope so!
Bishop’s Landing is your one-stop-shop when it comes to holiday preparation. Whether you’re shopping for gifts or getting ready to host a party, you’ll find what you need on the waterfront. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to keep up with what’s new at Bishop’s Landing, and be sure to visit us in December to see our beautiful lights and decorations!