On Groundhog Day earlier this month, Shubenacadie Sam predicted a long winter so instead of waiting for spring, we are embracing the fun we can have no matter what the weather is! When you really think about it, winter can be just as fun as summer with so many options such as sledding, skating at the Emera Oval, and enjoying a plate full of piping hot comfort food by the fireside at your favourite restaurant. We have rounded up our favourite four fun winter activities to do in Halifax, all conveniently on the waterfront.
- Enjoy the Winter Features Menu at Sea Smoke
- Take a Wine Appreciation Class at Bishop’s Cellar
- Meet Friends at the Fire & Ice Bar at The Bicycle Thief
- Participate in a Terrarium Building Class at Audrey Too
Enjoy the Winter Features Menu at Sea Smoke
Sea Smoke always has great specials on, whether it’s their happy maki hour filled with deals, their two Dine Around menu options, or innovative new cocktails. This winter, they introduced a winter features menu. It includes:
- Ramen bowls (choice of miso, tonkotsu, or shoyu) for only $10—perfect for a warming lunch break.
- Sushi combo served with a glass of house wine, draught beer, or feature cocktail for $20 to satisfy your afternoon snack craving between 3pm and 6pm.
- Two-course meal for $30 that includes your choice of appetizer or dessert along with a special entree from 4pm until close.
Hurry in because these features are only on for the winter!
Take a Wine Appreciation Class at Bishop’s Cellar
Bishop’s Cellar is inviting you to join their second cohort of 2020 for their Wine Appreciation class. Taking place on Wednesday nights 6:30 – 9:00 pm from March 4 to April 1, 2020, the class is intended for everyone who wants to appreciate wine—from the enthusiastic beginner to the more experienced connoisseur. The class would also be helpful for those who want to develop their knowledge to work in the local food and beverage industry.
When you register for the class, you can expect to:
- Learn how to identify the wine in your glass
- Explore wine regions of the world
- Discover what it takes to turn grapes into wine
To register for the course, which costs $250 +HST per person, contact Alanna at 902-490-2675.
Meet Friends at the Fire & Ice Bar at The Bicycle Thief
If you haven’t been to The Fire & Ice Bar at The Bicycle Thief, what are you waiting for? It may be cold outside, but it’s cozy at the bar! They have warm, luxe blankets on each chair as well as heaters along the bar. Weather pending, they are open Fridays and Saturdays waiting to serve you a hot beverage. Some of the special offers at the bar include:
- Fire & Ice Shot – Grey Goose vodka and a Black Point oyster
- Veeerrry Cold Veuve – “Yellow Label” Veuve Cliquot Champagne
- Vin Brule Caldo – Mulled wine with honey, fruit, and spices
- Big Boy Spiked Hot Chocolate – Ghiradelli hot chocolate with Remy Martin VSOP and bruléed
- Eclipse Rum Hot Toddy – Mount Gay Eclipse Rum with brown sugar, butter, citrus, and spices
It’s first-come, first-serve at the bar, so meet your friends and pull up a seat!
Participate in a Terrarium Building Class at Audrey Too
A unique activity perfect for a group of friends is the terrarium building class at Audrey Too. On Wednesdays and Fridays, you can spend an hour and a half with friends learning about terrariums, choosing what you want to put in yours, and building your own to take home. For $50, the supplies are all included along with hands-on instruction for assembly and care.
Audrey Too also has a plant care class that is free to take! Drop by the store or visit their website to learn more or sign up.
Have Some Winter Fun Before it’s Over!
Whether it’s learning something new or taking advantage of special winter menus, now is the time before winter is over!